LSNA publishes a regular newsletter to provide residents, advocates, stakeholders with updates on its successes and challenges in addressing the critical needs of the Logan Square community. Download past issues of the newsletter here. If you would like to receive the monthly newsletter by mail or email, sign up here. If you have any questions, please contact Deborah McCoy at 773 384-4370 ext. 44 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1–25 of 62 items | Next »
Local teacher finds success after parent mentor program
- Jacob Wittich, Jun 12, 2016
- Her attitude changed when she joined the Parent Mentors program through the Logan Square Neighborhood Association to volunteer at her children’s school.
“It empowered me, giving me the…
Hundreds March on The 606 Over Gentrification
- Paul Biasco, May 18, 2016
- Hundreds of people marched along The 606 Tuesday night in a protest against gentrification.
The march was organized to draw attention to the rising cost of living along the relatively new trail,…
Marchers take to the 606 trail to protest gentrification
- Leonor Vivanco, May 17, 2016
- The Logan Square Neighborhood Association, a community group which organized the march, offered proposals on how to keep residents from having to move.
“If we’re going to keep working…
'We've Been Pushed Out,' Logan Square Teens Protest Gentrification
- Joe Ward, Dec 16, 2015
- "We've been pushed out of our neighborhoods," said Eduardo Cordero, 16."Do you think these buildings are meant for people who've lived here for a long time?"
Lack of Budget Is Dismantling Critical State Services
- Lisa Christensen Gee, Sep 15, 2015
- To prevent further damage to children, families, and communities, lawmakers and the governor need to take responsibility for funding our state’s priorities by restoring the revenue we need to…
Valley Settlement Project earns praise
- Randy Essex - Post Independent (Denver), Mar 22, 2015
- "The Valley Settlement Project’s parent mentors, whose number has grown from 14 two years ago to 70 this year and are in every district elementary school..."
Ames Elev8 Musicians in Los Angeles
- Maria Trejo, Mar 6, 2014
- Bravo to Frank & Luis who performed with the Simon Bolivar Orchesra of Venezuela in February.
Community meeting at Kelvyn Park High School with CPS - Few Answers
- Ligia Granados , Univision, Dec 12, 2013
- At 6pm on 12/12/13 CPS Representatives met with the community at Kelvyn Park High School to announce grade expansion due to Ames Military Coup... there were many questions from parents, teachers and…
Mentor Program Benefits Students and Parents Alike (Video)
- Seattle Times, Dec 7, 2013
- The Logan Square Parent Mentor Program shatters the notion that all low income parents are too busy to spend time at school or just don't care.
Food and Love Are a Magical Combination for Healing
- By Lucy Gomez writing in The Brine - Dill Pickle Food Co-Op Newsletter, Nov 7, 2013
- The group was born because the LSNA Health Outreach Team was seeing a growing number of Spanish-speaking women in our community being diagnosed with breast cancer.
Ames parents continue fight against Marine Military Academy
- David R. Stone - Substance News, Nov 3, 2013
- Following a week of confusing signals from the alderman, the mayor, and CPs, 85 Ames supporters spent about three hours canvassing their neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest side.
Keep Chicago Renting Ordinance could protect 10,000 families during first year
- Extra Newspaper, Oct 3, 2013
- The new ordinance will provide direct help to thousands of Chicago Families.
Northeastern Enacts New Community Partnerships
- Northeastern Illinois University Newsletter, Oct 2, 2013
- On August 28 , Northeastern and the Cambodian Association of Illinois held a ceremony to mark the beginning of a new partnership between the two institutions. On September 20, Northeastern held a…
Maldonado Won't Back Down From Plan to Move Military School Into Ames
- By Victoria Johnson at DNAInfo Chicago, Jul 23, 2013
- "I'm really surprised that Maldonado is doing this again because Ames is at the best place it's been in 10 years," said Koutny.
Preview of Draft Master Plan for Lathrop Homes released
- John McDermott, Jul 19, 2013
- The plan calls for preserving most of the Lathrop's buildings north of Diversey Parkway, but demolishing all but three buildings south of Diversey. It continues to include 45 percent market-rate…
Cabrini-Green residents sue CHA over renovated units
- WLS, May 16, 2013
- "Public housing in not a bad word. Public housing is a safety net that needs to be preserved, rehabilitated or built new," said Jessie Avraham, from the Chicago Housing Initiative.
HUD seeking Letters of Support for historic preservation of Lathrop Homes
- John McDermott, Mar 26, 2013
- HUD seeking letters of Support for historic preservation of Lathrop Homes.
Reportan graves problemas administrativos en escuela de Logan Square (Video)
- Univision TV, Mar 20, 2013
- Kelvyn Park High School Sophomore and LSNA Youth Leader Katy Penaloza spoke with Univision TV about the KPHS community plan created by youth, parents and teachers.
LSNA/SWOP Parent Mentor Training expands to Skokie.
- Bridget Murphy, Feb 4, 2013
- 22 parents and 8 languages represented. Congratulations, Madison and Devonshire Schools!
Parent Mentorship Program for Local Schools
- By Natalie Zarowny - WHBF-TV, Jan 25, 2013
- LSNA/SWOP Parent Engagement Institute Parent Mentor Training in Moline.
Casa Guanajuato Parent Mentors
- WVIK 90.3 FM, Jan 24, 2013
- With money from the state, Casa Guanojuato in Moline is organizing the "Parent Mentor Program for Early Childhood Learning" based on an 18-year old program in Chicago.
Eva Calderon, school volunteer, dies at 65
- By Graydon Megan, Special to the Tribune, Nov 23, 2012
- "She opened the door to the school for parents. She made them feel welcome," said Shirley Reyes of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, who worked closely with Mrs. Calderon.
Strengthening A Voting Bloc: Pushing for an impressive Latino turnout
- The Chicago Reporter, Nov 6, 2012
- Christian Diaz led an LSNA campaign that registered 1300 new Latino voters by November 6th.
Alderman Maldonado wants Military Academy at Ames
- Univision TV, Nov 1, 2012
- Parents and Community ask "Where is the Community Process?"
Bike Sharing is Coming to Chicago
- Mark de la Vergne Memo, Oct 18, 2012
- Schedule for upcoming Public Meetings.
1–25 of 62 items | Next »