1–25 of 69 items | Next »
CPS says schools will remain open if teachers walk out
- Juan Perez Jr. and Grace WongContact Reporters, Oct 5, 2016
- "Enough of blaming our teachers, enough of making our children's education a political game" said Ana Centeno, a CPS parent and member of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association."
¿Qué pasará si hay huelga de maestros en Chicago?
- Por TELEMUNDO CHICAGO, Oct 4, 2016
- Ana Centeno y Leticia Barrera llegaron a mostrar solidaridad con los maestros de las es cuelas públicas de Chicago, recaudando firmas para exigir una negociación ahora.
Parent Power: Community Organizing as a Parent Engagement Strategy
- Edgar Villanueva, Vice President of Programs & Advocacy, Jul 19, 2016
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association, Chicago
In 1995, the Logan Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA) in Chicago developed a program in conjunction with principals and teachers to engage…
Dual language programs to expand, but fears over money linger
- Kalyn Belsha, Jul 7, 2016
- "Leticia Barrera, a Logan Square Neighborhood Association education organizer, says parents from nine area schools worked for two years, surveying other parents about their interest in dual language…
Exigen fondos para mantener ‘Padres Mentores’
- Pablo César Soto,, Jun 11, 2016
- Exigen fondos para mantener ‘Padres Mentores’
Más de 600 padres de graduaron el día de hoy del programa Padres Mentores y le exigen a los legisladores que los hagan…
Parents, students, teachers mobilize at the Logan Square Eagle on the way to downtown rally.
- Kim Scipes, Apr 3, 2016
- 'Get up, get down, Chicago is a union town!'...Logan Square backs CTU in April 1 events... Parents, students, teachers mobilize at the Logan Square Eagle on the way to downtown rally...
CTU President Addresses Parent Mentor Convention
- Ashmar Mandou, Mar 10, 2016
- Union President Karen Lewis who said, “parent mentors your daily work in the classrooms is very valuable” …
Lewis to CPS parents: April 1 CTU action ‘like an extra holiday’
- Lauren FitzPatrick, Mar 7, 2016
- “We are all being held hostage by a governor who doesn’t want to work for us,” Lewis told the crowd at the Logan Square Neighborhood Association’s Parent Mentor celebration…
Lessons in learning Tackling educational challenges around the world
- Liz Mineo, Harvard Staff Writer, Feb 1, 2016
- "The example of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association could teach people in Iraq how to increase community engagement and reduce school segregation along ethnic or religious lines."
Anuncio de la Corte Suprema “nos da una esperanza que no teníamos”
- Jaime Reyes, Jan 19, 2016
- La decisión del martes de la Corte fue recibida con beneplácito por residentes y organizaciones pro inmigrantes, aunque otros sectores no la aceptan.
ONXRT Vol 17 Benefits Parent Mentors – Learn More!
- Mary Dixon, Jan 19, 2016
- "They build stronger communities inside and outside of those schools."
Logan Square Moms Build Dia de los Muertos Altars to Protest Budget Cuts
- By Paul Biasco, Oct 31, 2015
- A group of angry Logan Square moms took their message of state legislators this week in the form of Dia de los Muertos altars.
Madres "muertas de la ira" por recortes presupuestales
- Crédito: Brightcove, Oct 29, 2015
- Un grupo de madres de familia de Logan Square organizó el "día de los muertos de la ira", visitando a representantes estatales de Illinois, con un altar que muestra los difuntos…
City Colleges consolidation stirs concern about enrollment in child development programs
- Kalyn Belsha, Oct 6, 2015
- Early childhood education piqued Jaqueline Espinal’s interest when her daughter started preschool at Darwin Elementary in Logan Square. She first pitched in as a volunteer, then became a parent…
West Side parents aid teachers, learn skills in expanding program
- Ryan Quinn, Education Reporter, Sep 27, 2015
- Trained by LSNA's Parent Engagement Institute: Parent Mentor program starts its 2nd year in Charleston,West Virginia, sponsored by HOPE Community Development Corporation and West Virginia Healthy…
White House recognizes LSNA's comprehensive education programs as a national "Bright Spot" in educational excellence for Hispanics.
- LSNA Press Release, Sep 16, 2015
- The Bright Spots catalog features over 230 programs, models, organizations and initiatives that are supporting and investing in the educational attainment of Hispanics.
At Kelvyn Park High School, it's back to school with fewer teachers
- Brandis Friedman/Chicago Tonight, Sep 8, 2015
- Hundreds of thousands of Chicago Public Schools students on Tuesday returned to the classroom amid massive financial woes for the district: an expired teacher contract and a $480 million budget hole .
Beachwood Reporter: Cuts to Kelvyn Park High School
- By Steve Rhodes/Beachwood Reporter, Sep 8, 2015
- "We have no college counselor," Sherilyn Flores, a 17-year-old senior, said outside the Hermosa neighborhood high school. "I'm more worried about college this year than any other senior would be."
Save Kelvyn Park High School
- Fred Klonsky/Blog, Sep 8, 2015
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association Press Conference on the first day of school 2015, Kelvyn Park High School.
Logan Square Community Rallies Against Local School Budget Cuts (VIDEO)
- Ellen Fortino - Progress Illinois, Jul 28, 2015
- Leaders with the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, which organized the rally, said 10 of the group's partner public schools face a combined $4.7 million in budget cuts for the upcoming school…
Logan Square Sees $4M in Slashed CPS Funds -- $1.6M at a Single School
- Darryl Holliday - DNAinfo, Jul 16, 2015
- “One of the major cuts will probably be teachers,” said Jennifer Velasquez, a 21-year-old Kelvyn Park High School graduate, Logan Square Neighborhood Association youth organizer and Logan…
Parent mentoring program highlighted... Antidote to Cynicism: Parent Mentoring Program Graduates 603 Parent Mentors for in-Classroom Student/Teacher Support
- Kim Scipes - Substance News, Jun 5, 2015
- "...to have a Parent Mentor in their classroom is 33 cents per hour, less than $1.00 a day, while keeping administrative costs down: the administration of the statewide program is 5%, and local…
Local Officials Address Logan Square Neighbors' Fears of 606 Gentrification
- Alex Nitkin DNAChicago, May 17, 2015
- In a brief keynote address at the end of the event, County Board President Toni Preckwinkle didn't reference any specific policy action but echoed the importance of affordable housing, of which…
Parents, Illinois Legislators Celebrate 20 Years of Parent Mentor Program
- Ashmar Mandou - Lawndale News, Mar 19, 2015
- “The Parent Mentor Program is one that completely changed my life,” said Monica Espinosa , parent leader with Logan Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA).
Parents fear loss of school volunteers if Rauner has his way
- Becky Vevea - WBEZ Chicago, Mar 17, 2015
- Mama’s right up stairs. Attendance goes up. Homework help goes up. Grades go up. Parents, teachers and the community start to learn to work together."
1–25 of 69 items | Next »