1–25 of 44 items | Next »
Parents Pressure Mayor to Keep Schools Open with TIF Funds
- Ashmar Mandou, Apr 20, 2017
- “CPS parents know that closing the schools on June 1st will result in more violence and less support for their children’s education. This is unacceptable in the face of hundreds of…
Fed Up With Gentrification, Latino Teens In Logan Fight Back With Festival
- Mina Bloom, Apr 14, 2017
- "We're not going to allow developers or Realtors tell [our] stories for us"
THE IMPACT OF CHICAGO PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL CLOSINGS AND OPENINGS SINCE 1995
- Misuzu Schexnider, Feb 6, 2017
- "Kelvyn Park’s buy in rate has dropped continuously since 2008. Negative perceptions in the community, administrative instability and the opening of alternative options have all contributed…
$1,595 For A Studio In Logan Square? New Normal Worries Longtime Residents
- Mina Bloom and Tanveer Ali, Jan 9, 2017
- "I guess I'm confused. Those towers and all of these new developments .... maybe [they're] affordable for a certain demographic, but that's not the demographic that's being displaced..."
Gentrification how it's affecting residents in Logan Square
- WGN-TV Community, Jun 8, 2016
- ADELANTE-Gentrification how it`s affecting residents in Logan Square
The 606 trail, a study in contrasts, celebrates its first birthday
- Leonor Vivanco, Jun 7, 2016
- "We're at a point where we've lost families, but we don't want to keep losing any more. So I think if we stabilize the amount of property taxes or rent prices to keep everyone where they are right…
Marching against gentrification, Pell grants for dual enrollment, being black at elite high schools, principals’ group election
- Catalyst Chicago, May 20, 2016
- Hundreds marched on Tuesday to protest gentrification in Logan Square along the 606 trail, which they say is contributing to declines in neighborhood school enrollment. "I'm a parent against…
Hundreds March on The 606 Over Gentrification
- Paul Biasco, May 18, 2016
- Hundreds of people marched along The 606 Tuesday night in a protest against gentrification.
The march was organized to draw attention to the rising cost of living along the relatively new trail,…
Marchers take to the 606 trail to protest gentrification
- Leonor Vivanco, May 17, 2016
- The Logan Square Neighborhood Association, a community group which organized the march, offered proposals on how to keep residents from having to move.
“If we’re going to keep working…
Group protests number of low-income units in planned Lathrop redevelopment
- Dawn RhodesContact Reporter, Mar 21, 2016
- "Groups that included the Chicago Housing Initiative, the Logan Square Neighborhood Association and leaders from several churches rallied at the Lathrop complex at West Diversey Parkway and North…
Compañías encuentran tácticas para evadir vivienda asequible
- Adriana Cardona Maguigad, Feb 17, 2016
- Además de construir proyectos residenciales extremadamente costosos, algunas compañías podrían estar evadiendo aspectos importantes de la Ordenanza de Requisitos…
'We're Strangers in Our Own Land': Protesters Decry Humboldt Park Mansions
- Evan F. Moore, Jan 30, 2016
- "Our taxes are going up and our paychecks are staying the same," said Juan Media, who's lived in Humboldt Park for 30 years. "We will be forced to sell if we haven't been already. My neighbors that…
Mega Mall Redevelopment Passes Biggest Hurdle
- Paul Biasco and Ted Cox, Dec 17, 2015
- "John McDermott, of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, argued against the plan. He called affordable housing "the fundamental existential issue" for Logan Square, with "a certain demographic"…
Protest Against Logan Square Gentrification
- Dec 17, 2015
- Youth join with Grassroots Illinois Action to speak out against proposed Logan Square development along The 606 trail that could displace longtime residents. This program was recorded by Chicago…
'We've Been Pushed Out,' Logan Square Teens Protest Gentrification
- Joe Ward, Dec 16, 2015
- "We've been pushed out of our neighborhoods," said Eduardo Cordero, 16."Do you think these buildings are meant for people who've lived here for a long time?"
Piden un alto a los desplazamientos en el vecindario de Logan Square
- Dec 16, 2015
- "Members of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association said they are meeting with Ald. Proco Joe Moreno (1st) to discuss ways to keep longtime area residents in Logan Square".
Protesters Demand CPS, Mayor Halt Cuts, Ask 'Rich to Pay Their Fair Share'
- DNAInfo/Paul Biasco, Jul 28, 2015
- “Our school budgets are getting chopped at the same time families are struggling to stay in their community," said Jennifer Velazquez, a Kelvyn Park High School graduate and local school…
Wicker Park, Bucktown Home Values Spike After Bloomingdale Trail Opens
- Rachel Cromidas - Chicagoist, Jul 27, 2015
- The Logan Square Neighborhood Association, for example, has been pushing Berrios's office to support property tax abatement measures or even offer exemptions to longtime homeowners.
En Chicago, vecinos no se quieren ir de su barrio
- Jaime Reyes - Vivelo Hoy, Jul 15, 2015
- Según la organización Logan Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA), uno de las agrupaciones que organiza a los vecinos, los edificios en el área son propiedad de familias de…
RESIDENTS NEAR 606 TRAIL WORRY ABOUT HIGH TAXES
- Jessica D'Onofrio - ABC Ch 7 TV, Jul 14, 2015
- "There's always the fear that when the assessment comes, my family might not be able to pay the mortgage on the house," said Jennifer Velazquez, 21, has lived in Logan Square her entire life.
Eyes on the Street: The Bloomingdale Trail Is Almost Ready for Its Close-Up
- John Greenfield - StreetsBlog Chicago, Jun 2, 2015
- As property taxes and rents rise, many longtime Humboldt Park residents have said they’re worried about being priced out of their neighborhoods
606 trail inspires excitement, fear from neighbors
- Meredith Rodriguez, May 23, 2015
- "Even this past Friday, as I sat at my window, as I looked at the for-sale signs, it came to mind, six months from today, my immediate block could look different, unrecognizable," Ramirez said.
LSNA Addresses 606 Gentrification Fears
- Alex V Hernandez - EXtra, May 20, 2015
- “I live eight houses away from the elevated train track where the 606 will be, and I’m already starting to see some changes. It’s going to attract a lot of people, so how can I be a…
Vecinos de Logan Square dicen ‘no’ a recortes
- Leticia Espinosa - Vivelo Hoy, May 18, 2015
- Los recortes [del Gobierno Rauner] obligarían a organizaciones como LSNA a cerrar programas como el que asiste a inmigrantes a obtener la ciudadanía estadounidense y…
Local Officials Address Logan Square Neighbors' Fears of 606 Gentrification
- Alex Nitkin DNAChicago, May 17, 2015
- In a brief keynote address at the end of the event, County Board President Toni Preckwinkle didn't reference any specific policy action but echoed the importance of affordable housing, of which…
1–25 of 44 items | Next »