LSNA in the Media
1–25 of 204 items | Next »
Parents, students, teachers mobilize at the Logan Square Eagle on the way to downtown rally.
- Kim Scipes, Apr 3, 2016
- 'Get up, get down, Chicago is a union town!'...Logan Square backs CTU in April 1 events... Parents, students, teachers mobilize at the Logan Square Eagle on the way to downtown rally...
CTU President Addresses Parent Mentor Convention
- Ashmar Mandou, Mar 10, 2016
- Union President Karen Lewis who said, “parent mentors your daily work in the classrooms is very valuable” …
Lewis to CPS parents: April 1 CTU action ‘like an extra holiday’
- Lauren FitzPatrick, Mar 7, 2016
- “We are all being held hostage by a governor who doesn’t want to work for us,” Lewis told the crowd at the Logan Square Neighborhood Association’s Parent Mentor celebration…
Compañías encuentran tácticas para evadir vivienda asequible
- Adriana Cardona Maguigad, Feb 17, 2016
- Además de construir proyectos residenciales extremadamente costosos, algunas compañías podrían estar evadiendo aspectos importantes de la Ordenanza de Requisitos…
Lessons in learning Tackling educational challenges around the world
- Liz Mineo, Harvard Staff Writer, Feb 1, 2016
- "The example of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association could teach people in Iraq how to increase community engagement and reduce school segregation along ethnic or religious lines."
'We've Been Pushed Out,' Logan Square Teens Protest Gentrification
- Joe Ward, Dec 16, 2015
- "We've been pushed out of our neighborhoods," said Eduardo Cordero, 16."Do you think these buildings are meant for people who've lived here for a long time?"
Madres "muertas de la ira" por recortes presupuestales
- Crédito: Brightcove, Oct 29, 2015
- Un grupo de madres de familia de Logan Square organizó el "día de los muertos de la ira", visitando a representantes estatales de Illinois, con un altar que muestra los difuntos…
City Colleges consolidation stirs concern about enrollment in child development programs
- Kalyn Belsha, Oct 6, 2015
- Early childhood education piqued Jaqueline Espinal’s interest when her daughter started preschool at Darwin Elementary in Logan Square. She first pitched in as a volunteer, then became a parent…
Colleges team up to help early childhood workers get degrees
- Kalyn Belsha, Sep 30, 2015
- “It’s about making sure our bilingual-bicultural teachers, current and future, get the professional development and support they need,” says Lucy Gomez-Feliciano, who oversees the…
Meet "Generation All" Steering Committee Member and Intern, Jesus Velazquez
- Jesus Velazquez -Generation All Newsletter, Sep 28, 2015
- "After learning about the school to prison pipeline from my LSNA and V.O.Y.C.E experiences, I realized that there was a system that had pushed a lot of my friends out of school, and I was almost…
West Side parents aid teachers, learn skills in expanding program
- Ryan Quinn, Education Reporter, Sep 27, 2015
- Trained by LSNA's Parent Engagement Institute: Parent Mentor program starts its 2nd year in Charleston,West Virginia, sponsored by HOPE Community Development Corporation and West Virginia Healthy…
White House recognizes LSNA's comprehensive education programs as a national "Bright Spot" in educational excellence for Hispanics.
- LSNA Press Release, Sep 16, 2015
- The Bright Spots catalog features over 230 programs, models, organizations and initiatives that are supporting and investing in the educational attainment of Hispanics.
At Kelvyn Park High School, it's back to school with fewer teachers
- Brandis Friedman/Chicago Tonight, Sep 8, 2015
- Hundreds of thousands of Chicago Public Schools students on Tuesday returned to the classroom amid massive financial woes for the district: an expired teacher contract and a $480 million budget hole .
Beachwood Reporter: Cuts to Kelvyn Park High School
- By Steve Rhodes/Beachwood Reporter, Sep 8, 2015
- "We have no college counselor," Sherilyn Flores, a 17-year-old senior, said outside the Hermosa neighborhood high school. "I'm more worried about college this year than any other senior would be."
Save Kelvyn Park High School
- Fred Klonsky/Blog, Sep 8, 2015
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association Press Conference on the first day of school 2015, Kelvyn Park High School.
Logan Square Community Rallies Against Local School Budget Cuts (VIDEO)
- Ellen Fortino - Progress Illinois, Jul 28, 2015
- Leaders with the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, which organized the rally, said 10 of the group's partner public schools face a combined $4.7 million in budget cuts for the upcoming school…
Protesters Demand CPS, Mayor Halt Cuts, Ask 'Rich to Pay Their Fair Share'
- DNAInfo/Paul Biasco, Jul 28, 2015
- “Our school budgets are getting chopped at the same time families are struggling to stay in their community," said Jennifer Velazquez, a Kelvyn Park High School graduate and local school…
Wicker Park, Bucktown Home Values Spike After Bloomingdale Trail Opens
- Rachel Cromidas - Chicagoist, Jul 27, 2015
- The Logan Square Neighborhood Association, for example, has been pushing Berrios's office to support property tax abatement measures or even offer exemptions to longtime homeowners.
Logan Square Sees $4M in Slashed CPS Funds -- $1.6M at a Single School
- Darryl Holliday - DNAinfo, Jul 16, 2015
- “One of the major cuts will probably be teachers,” said Jennifer Velasquez, a 21-year-old Kelvyn Park High School graduate, Logan Square Neighborhood Association youth organizer and Logan…
En Chicago, vecinos no se quieren ir de su barrio
- Jaime Reyes - Vivelo Hoy, Jul 15, 2015
- Según la organización Logan Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA), uno de las agrupaciones que organiza a los vecinos, los edificios en el área son propiedad de familias de…
Why are Latino teachers such a minority in CPS?
- Becky Vevea - WBEZ, Jul 15, 2015
- “I am a proud graduate of Chicago Public Schools and I can honestly say that … I did not have any Latino teachers,” said Cristina Pacione-Zayas, education director at the nonprofit…
RESIDENTS NEAR 606 TRAIL WORRY ABOUT HIGH TAXES
- Jessica D'Onofrio - ABC Ch 7 TV, Jul 14, 2015
- "There's always the fear that when the assessment comes, my family might not be able to pay the mortgage on the house," said Jennifer Velazquez, 21, has lived in Logan Square her entire life.
Parent mentoring program highlighted... Antidote to Cynicism: Parent Mentoring Program Graduates 603 Parent Mentors for in-Classroom Student/Teacher Support
- Kim Scipes - Substance News, Jun 5, 2015
- "...to have a Parent Mentor in their classroom is 33 cents per hour, less than $1.00 a day, while keeping administrative costs down: the administration of the statewide program is 5%, and local…
Eyes on the Street: The Bloomingdale Trail Is Almost Ready for Its Close-Up
- John Greenfield - StreetsBlog Chicago, Jun 2, 2015
- As property taxes and rents rise, many longtime Humboldt Park residents have said they’re worried about being priced out of their neighborhoods
606 trail inspires excitement, fear from neighbors
- Meredith Rodriguez, May 23, 2015
- "Even this past Friday, as I sat at my window, as I looked at the for-sale signs, it came to mind, six months from today, my immediate block could look different, unrecognizable," Ramirez said.
1–25 of 204 items | Next »